Monday 8 February 2010

Hello West Lothian Clarion

Dave Hills

Dave Hills joined up at the last Linithgow Social and has already been out on one or two club runs, here is his story:

I started cycling about about 6 years ago when my knees and ankles suggested that my amateur football days were well and truly over. My first time on a road bike was during a week in the Vercours in France which is close to Grenoble. Needless to say I got the bug and not knowing anything about the best bikes or equipment, went straight out and bought an all-black Cannondale R700, solely because it looked good. I also have a fair weather bike after I invested in a Specialzed Roubaix Pro which comes out in the warmer climes (so not very often).

My cycling claims to fame are at both ends of the spectrum. I wrote an article which was published in Cycling Weekly in January 2008 in the "Killer Climb Section", from Linlithgow to Cairnpapple, only because I was fed up reading about killer climbs in Kent that were only 100 yards long. My worst day on a bike was when I went over the handlebars on the cobbled section out-side the Four Mary's in Linlithgow. My cleats were too tight and the bike smashed into my face, resulting in 8 stitches under my eye and a broken collar bone.

Despite not being the fastest climber in the world, my conquests include Tourmalet, Port de Bales, Alpe D'huez, Galibier, Izoard, Mount Teide and the hardest of them all, Ventoux. I am what they call, a plodder. With the big 5-0 approaching next year, my targets this year are more modest but include the Etape Caledonia and the Ariegoise in June which finishes at the top of Plateau de Beille. You may also spot me at various charity events including Drumlanrig Castle and the Cat & Fiddle, that is if my wife and kids let me out !

No comments: