Monday 19 April 2010

Dunning Glen Delight

Dunning Glen Ride 17th April-4

The right day was picked for a club away day on Saturday, bright sunshine and lovely countryside meant a hardy group of riders had a terrific time on roads less travelled, Andy Richards picks up the story

Initially 7 of us set out from Larbert, Neil, Lynda, Euan, Paul, Lewy me and new rider Tom were joined later by Matt and Simon.

The route from Larbert took us through some fantastic scenery, up a few steady climbs (just over 3000 feet of them according to Bikely ) and down two long decents that almost made up for the ridiculous head wind that hounded us for a good deal of the route.

When the wind was our friend it was exhilarating to bomb along at 20+ mph especially the decent down of Comrie moor and the run back from Stirling towards Larbert. It was a good assist on the first leg from Larbert up to Dunning aswell but the artificially high initial speed eventually took its toll on me and by the time we were stopping for lunch in Comrie I was showing signs of being 'done in'.

I perked up a little after lunch although watching me get to the top of Comrie moor you may have thought otherwise! (This is where we met Matt and Simon). The decent was one of the better bits of biking that I have enjoyed so far. It was all too short lived though, once at Braco the run parallel to the A9 was bad... awfy bad into the wind. I dropped off the back like a stone. I just kept pedaling until it was over and I caught the group that had stopped in Dunblane.

The run from Bridge of Allan along the A91 was where I felt the 'Hand of God' for the first time pushing me along helping me to catch the group. Matt gave me boost for a mile or so, it worked a treat though... untill the next hill!

Once on the back roads again with the wind at our tail we zipped along at a good pace till the group split prior to Larbert with Matt and Simon heading back through Grangemouth and the rest of us going back to Larbert where cars and trains were waiting having ridden over 100 miles at 15 mph

A big thanks to everyone that rode today, and for helping me along and thanks for David McTurk for doing all the planning and making the route cards

Linda said "I agree with Andy, it was a great day out. The wind could have been a little kinder but the rain stayed away and for alot of the ride the sun was shining. The descent from the top of Dunning Glen was fab and to be honest with the gradual climb up from Clackmannan you didn't realise you were so high up. After lunch the climb up to Comrie moor seemed a terrible thought but at the top with the group together we motored along... until hitting the wind again!"

Hopefully we can get another club away day in the next few months.

Route: www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/401475
Club runs info here: www.westlothianclarion.co.uk/clubruns

No comments: