Wednesday 16 December 2009

Welcome to the club Mike

Mike Batley

Mike balances family life and keeping fit by getting most of his miles in on his way to work.

Mike says "2009 will see me crack the 100 mpw barrier for the first time, mainly doing the 32 mile work round trip. But as I was once a competitive runner, I still get the urge to ride harder, so I've done the odd TLI race and sportive – Bealach Beag in 2007 (about 10% down the field) and the Northern Rock Cyclone (60 miler) in 2008 have been the highlights."

"My first target for 2010 is to keep off the operating table. I’ve already had one major hip operation (called a resurfacing) and arthritis is gradually getting the better of my left hip too; but that’s what great about cycling – the modest stress on the joints means you can still push yourself. So I’m aiming for the Lakeland Loop in April then as I’m 50 in 2010, I want to get in a few >50 events, such as the TLI Cumbrae RR. One thing I’ll probably never do though is beat my work colleague, Mike “the cannibal” Ewart to a 30 mph road sign! (I know the feeling - Matt!)

"I do most of my miles on a B’twin – basic frame built up mainly with 105 kit. I also have a Planet X – again an aliminium frame – which I’m re-building with Sram Rival/Force and a new wheelset this spring. Somewhere lurking in the shed is a vintage Specialized Rockhopper that does as a hybrid when I need it; of course, it’s donned with slicks."

"Every year I say I want to do more cycling so hopefully joining the Clarion will help and I won’t be too much of a stranger. It’s great to see more people out on bikes and I’m sure the Clarion has made a big difference locally. So keep up the good work!"

No comments: