Wednesday 2 June 2010

Jimmy Laing 25 TT report

Steven Fraser wrote a great report about last weekend's Jimmy Laing 25 TT

was first off on what is a new course for this event. The officials tried to give me a wee confidence booster by telling me if I got back before anyone else passed me then I would briefly (for a minute or so) hold the course record. Rather than fall of the bike in fits of laughter I replied that if I get back before anyone else one of three things would have happened

(a) I would need to be tested for EPO
(b) I had taken a wrong turn
(c) I had borrowed one of Fabian's motor powered Roubaix bikes

There was a couple of sharp 90° turns and the surface was a bit damp in the first 2 or 3 miles (overhanging trees) - and would be a bit iffy if you weren't paying attention especiially if there was cars coming the other way as they were prone to cut the corners. Being early on a Sunday morning the traffic was fairly light but I wouldn't fancy riding that route later in the day as it is probably fairly busy and fast with local traffic.

There was the proverbial Kirkliston style flyover to contend with (going over the east coast line) and the final stretch from drem back in to gullane is one of those rises that doesn't look very much but seems to just drag on that bit longerthan you expect with your computer taking an age to count off the metres.

A nice course provided it is quiet - I would say that apart from the first mile (downhill) and last mile (uphill) it is comparable to doing the Kirkliston TT 2½ times in succession. What was disappointing for the organisers was that there was only 36 on the start sheet.

No comments: