Monday 6 September 2010

Race results

Members have been competing up and down the country in recent weeks

Steve McCaw and Julie Dominguez did a great job representing the club at the National Clarion Track Champs in Manchester on Sunday. Jules narrowly missed qualifying for the final of the sprint and almost got away in the 5 mile race - her performance are outstanding as she was competing in mixed events

Steve was the fastest qualifier in the Pursuit and caught his man in the final - winning his second Clarion title this year!

Congratulations to both and read Steve's exciting report here

At the end of August, Steve just missed out on a medal in the Scottish Vets Pursuit at Meadowbank.

Jonathan Buckley is the first West Lothian Clarion rider to gain his 3rd Cat license by finishing 5th in the recent Billy Warnock Memorial Road Race, organised by Falkirk BC

Jonathan has also been competing in the SCU XC Mountain bike series. In round 6 at Laggan he finished 4th and says "It was a technical and muddy, short course strewn with boulders, roots and tight turns. The masters had to complete 5 laps. The field, although smaller than usual, had 2 national level riders so I was pretty satisfied with my 4th place finish (10 minutes behind the winner..... ahem!)

The Mason Family also rode the event with Dad, David finishing 6th, Jamie in 17th and Cameron 6th so well done to them!

Congratulations to Sadiq Mir who smashed his personal best for a 10 mile TT in last Wednesday's Roabie Roberston 10TT on the Westferry course.

Sadiq said "I thought the course was pan flat but there are a few rises that take it out of you. This was my first TT since late May and afterwards I was torn between either puking or passing out! I took 29 secs off my PB with a 23.16. Many thanks to hosts Glasgow Road club and all marshalls on the night."

Craig Marshall, Steven Fraser and Simon Kenny have been gaining experience in local road races. Simon finished the 2nd cat Battle of the Braes last weekend but was dropped from the bunch in a very tough event. Simon said "You live and learn – when the situation next arises where I lose the bunch, I’ll ease up and hopefully join or be joined by any other dropped riders. I’ll also make sure I keep feeding. If I’d done these two things yesterday, I reckon I’d have finished about 8 – 10 places better. Saying again, if you’re at the wrong end of the field of 59 finishers, I don’t suppose fourth from bottom or fourteenth from bottom makes a lot of difference!"

Matthew Ball finished just out of the medals in the National Clarion 25 TT champs over an undulating course in Nottingham at the end of August. Last week he took back the record from Steve McCaw for the Sea to Sky Challenge, the club's place to place record. His time of 59.58 means he is the first member to get under the hour. The route starts in Blackness and turns at the Knock and all members are encouraged to test themselves on the demanding course.

No comments: